Epoch Indoor Racer - epoch1-43.com

Go Back   epoch1-43.com Forums > General Discussion > Parts and Hop-Ups

Old 05-05-2008, 01:55 AM

Default 2.4GHz Modified Epoch

Take
• One 2.4 GHz Mini-Z ASF replacement circuit board.
• One Epoch chassis set
• One or 2 small lipo batteries (I used two 210 cells in parallel for 3.7v 420mAh)
• Might as well throw in a Mini-Z boat Aquaspeed motor for fun.

And what do you get? One very fast and controllable Epoch. This is a fun car, and on a 2xWide-L RCP track has firmly trounced my dNaNo more than once, when you can keep it upright for 50 laps that is.

Not hard to do at all, all wires are pretty much a one for one swap except that you replace the ASF CB switch with a jumper, and then follow the R&R battery mod thread. I recommend using the ASF wires as much as possible reducing the amount of CB soldering to the jumper and power wires.

I did get a bit creative on this one so that it has no battery connector instead it uses tabs for the connection, similar to a Lit or dNaNo, and cut a hole in the top of the chassis so that the CB sits as low as possible.

Chassis weight with battery: 80grams\
Runtime: Depends on motor; forever with a Shotgun motor mount, but still around 30 minutes with the Aquaspeed.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Thumbs up

Nice one LBRC, we all knew it was just a matter of time before you did this! Would love to see: video comparison vs. dNaNo on the track; how-to tutorial?!
Old 05-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to arch2b

awsome modification! i look forward to diggin mine out again to do the same thing hopefully. i'll need another shotgun motor setup though
Old 06-02-2008, 12:42 PM

A quick update, I liked the first one so much I made another this time mounting the CB sideways.

Funny thing is that I really like the stock and Aquaspeed motors with the ASF CB and 400mAh 3.7v LiPo pack. The shotgun is a bit over the top, literally over the top of the RCP rail off the track and into the far wall, maybe if we get a dNaNo ball diff, of course there is always the KT-18’s training mode.

Note; On this one I left the Epoch servo motor in at first but quickly pulled the car back apart and replaced it with the motor that came with the ASF CB. The Epoch servo motor is actually faster and draws more current than the ASF Mini-Z servo motor, too fast too powerful if you even think of turning the cars is instantly either rolling or slamming into a wall. Unfortunately the brass pinion is the wrong size and pitch so you need a pinion puller to remove it.
Attached Images

Last edited by LBRC; 06-02-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:27 PM

Hi,

Sorry if the question is dumb. Which 2.4 GHz Mini-Z ASF replacement circuit board is it that you used? I can find the conversion kits in the shop, but not a replacement board.

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:30 AM

Finally got my hands on the dNaNo ball diff, unfortunately I’m still waiting on parts so no dual motor mount yet but it was easy enough to attach a dNaNo motor mount with one of my green motors to the ASF Epoch for some tests.

Fist problem was that the stock ball diff was way too stiff for even the added weight of an Epoch, had to track down a softer spring to loosen it up enough for any improvement though.

It still rolls when cornering too fast but the ball differential adds a consistency when cornering that makes it easier to control when cornering at higher speeds.

Now I can’t wait to get the mill up and running and make a dual motor mount for it, a little added weight in the rear won’t hurt either.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:39 AM

Default dougcmd

LBRC,

admire your skill with the torch(soldering iron), and, your creativity. I'm depressed, has everyone lost interest in epochs? Still the best all around handling, most versitle micro out there. Is there ANY chance we can hope for a "spec 3".

dougcmd
Old 11-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPM13 View Post
Hi,

Sorry if the question is dumb. Which 2.4 GHz Mini-Z ASF replacement circuit board is it that you used? I can find the conversion kits in the shop, but not a replacement board.

Thanks.
EPM13, here's just the board:

http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=19248

Old 07-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to arch2b

any updates?