Epoch Indoor Racer - epoch1-43.com

Go Back   epoch1-43.com Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2007, 10:06 PM

Default attention

come on guys, somebody post something. theirs got to be someone out there who has something to say or share.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Epoch advice

I'm thinking about getting the Epoch cars but not sure if should get the Xmods instead. Mini Z's seem to be too expensive. Any recommendations? What's the advantage of the Epoch's besides the smaller size? Thanks for any input.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:41 PM

Epochs have real hobby grade electronics (like the mini-z) so they will drive nicer than an xmod. Xmod has better in store part support but the epoch doesn't need much done to it. The xmods are easier to make faster than the epoch, but that doesn't mean you'll drive better. The only real plus to xmods are that you can get them RTR for dirt cheap now. I would highly recommend the epoch, especially over an xmod.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:09 AM

All depends on what you want it for.

Where do you plan on driving it?
How do you plan on driving it?
What do you want it to do for you?

Xmods are quite a bit larger and therefore can be driven on rougher surfaces, like parking lots, Epochs need smoother surfaces.

Xmods have kits, lights, body parts, and such, to modify them and play dress-up, plus some third party aftermarket hop-ups and aluminum parts, Epoch's do not.

Xmods have toy type electronics, Epochs do not.

Aside from the size the big difference is the electronics when you turn the Xmod steering wheel there are approximately 17 increments or steps, the same with the throttle when you pull the trigger slowly there are approximately 17 different forward speeds. With an Epoch or other car that uses hobby class proportional electronics you get something like 256 or more steps. Depending on where you are driving the difference can be quite noticeable. For example there is no doubt that in a straight line an Xmod is/can be faster than an Epoch which should be no surprise due to the size difference but time 25 laps on a Mini-96 or even larger 2xWL RCP track and the Xmod becomes something of an embarrassment without extensive modification.

I don’t have a good recommendation other than every micro/mini RC fan should have at least one of each. Don’t be fooled by the Xmod’s price though you will/can quickly end up spending more than the price of a Mini-Z on parts. BTW the Mini-Z is worth every penny but again if you are planning on tooling around in a parking lot or on the street a MR-02, MR-02 MA-010 (AWD) or F1 would not be a good choice rough pavement will quickly turn them into so much junk, there are the Overland and Monster series for that.

Epoch
Limited space indoor racing and practice.

Xmods
Toy RC car fun, modding experience, science projects and such.

Mini-Z Racer/F1
Serious mini RC racing preferably on RCP type tracks with a minimum of 15 x 20 feet of space for most enjoyment.

Other choices

Micro-T
Great indoor bashing fun and like the Epoch a must have for any micro RC collector, but it falls outside of what I call “model car racing” in other words it looks exactly like what it is a mini off-road RC stadium truck.

Mini-Z LIT
About the same size as an Epoch being 1/28 scale mini cars but expensive, also don’t expect to beat an Epoch on the track right out of the box either they are faster but top-heavy.

If you plan on driving it indoors, in the since of controlling the car, I would go with the Epoch as a first choice. For bashing, and just plane tooling around outside I would pick up an Xmod, or consider a Micro-T.

Found these on YouTube they are great examples of what can be done with an Epoch in a limited space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHvbqlMpK2s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdMzdGu9ig8
Old 02-24-2007, 11:03 AM

Yes they are all alot of fun... Xmods can be tricky as far as electronics after a while. If you know what your doing then you should be fine. They are tons of modding options on the xmod. Gen 1 is the one I like. I dont care too much for gen 2. Its actually kinda fun trying to get spare gen 1 parts.

Epochs are fun cars for indoor racing and there is a couple mods you can do to them... look through this forum.

Micro-t however, is commercially available so parts and upgrades will be at your local hobby store. They are fun and pretty sturdy so nothing can really be done to it that couldnt be fixed..just lots of fun.

As for mini-z... you could actually find MR-01s for a good deal $40-70$ on ebay or on the MZR forum. The MR-02 goes for like $90+ on ebay. Once again, lots of modding and upgrade options on these beauties.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:24 AM

Thanks for all the input!

Basically it's for a couple of my friends kids to get them started on the hobby and racing and then to get myself back into the hobby (it's been about 4 years). I had to move a couple years back and ended up selling my stuff on ebay which I regret.

So for the kids, would xmods be the way to go since you can get them at radio shack?

For myself, I like the idea of having some of each so that's what I'll probably do. I don't remember the RCP tracks being around when I had my cars before but I think I'll try and set up a track.

I posted a couple pics and videos of what I had set up before I had to move which was a track for microsizers/bitcharg and then a larger track for Tamtech and Mini Z's.

http://www.guitarsandcomputers.com/carvideo.htm
Old 06-04-2007, 07:34 PM

I strongly suggest the epoch. They need less space than a mini-z and you can build your own track with relative ease.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:02 AM

Ok I have something new, sort of, Aero-Nuts.com sells a 3.7v 400mAh 2p LiPo pack that will fit in an Epoch for under $6.

Still having a lot of fun with the Epochs, great car fun to drive.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:39 AM

have you gave those batts a try yet lbrc?
Old 07-13-2007, 03:37 AM

Yes, will post a photo later am dong a build with one right now.