Epoch Indoor Racer - epoch1-43.com

Go Back   epoch1-43.com Forums > General Discussion > Setups

Old 05-20-2006, 01:15 AM

Default ground clearance woes

What are you guys running in front for ground clearance? I generally like the higher clearance, with the spacers above the wheel so I don't drag on the ground. My 86 NEEDS to have the spacer above the wheels, my evo is happy either way, but my poor new impreza...

it HAS to have the lowest clearance to fit in the wheel wells and not look like a monster truck. anybody have any ideas? is it a defect? I'd hate for this body to sit on the shelf. And the only idea I can think of is to construct half-shims for the top and bottom and hope that I clear the carpet.

does anybody actually run the low clearance? there's almost no suspension travel before the chassis drags. It's more like sledding than RC...

clearance pics:
low/high

comparison of both rally bodies set on high clearance:

Last edited by Reaperman93010; 05-20-2006 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:51 PM

If you order springs from the shop here, they come with stackable shims that do exactly what you desribe. I was about to order an imprezza and RSX/Integra to compliment my skyline and EVO, so I'm glad I know the ground clearance issues with the scooby, but the shims work really well. Totally tunable ride height. Hope that helps.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkweather
If you order springs from the shop here, they come with stackable shims that do exactly what you desribe. I was about to order an imprezza and RSX/Integra to compliment my skyline and EVO, so I'm glad I know the ground clearance issues with the scooby, but the shims work really well. Totally tunable ride height. Hope that helps.
Thanks for that info, it helped me at least. Gonna have to pick up a few sets of those for my brother and I.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:02 AM

Does the spring set from the shop include different springs (soft, medium and firm) to tune the chassis?
Old 05-21-2006, 04:47 AM

Each one is different. You can buy the stock ones (stiff), mediums, or soft. I use the medium spring in the rear, rear end hooks up nice on a hardwood floor with soft tires. I'll probably switch back to the stiff one once my carpet track/Bar is done in the basement. Each spring set comes with 6 ride height shims. The mediums are pretty cushy, I can't see wanting to go softer, but maybe some of you that have tried them could shed some light.

As far as the shims, I actually did some adjusting with them just a few minutes ago. I put 2 under the spring, then one betweenthe bottom of the steering knuckle and the cover on each side. Drops the front about a millimeter over stock, then the other one compresses the spring to make it just a weee bit stiffer. I keep the rear about a millimeter higher, car seems to handle great. Gives me controllable understeer on off-throttle cornering.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:00 PM

I always use the lowest possible ground clearance setting in front for better handling, but then I’m driving on smooth level surfaces, usually tracks. Also for handling a lot can be done with very careful adjustment of the rear suspension spring, even a quarter turn can make a big difference however the stock spring needs to be cranked down pretty low for the best results so if you are running the taller front setup then I would recommend a stiffer spring or to shim for the rear spring. Stiffer front springs will help a taller setup too, but again it all hinges on the type of surface you are driving on too.