Epoch Indoor Racer - epoch1-43.com

Go Back   epoch1-43.com Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2006, 09:10 PM

Default Newb q's

I am a newbiw to Epochs, but not to RC. I have a few 1/10 scale, a few XMods, and many MicroZ ( 1:50 scale ) cars.
I am in the process of ordering my first Epoch.
Do the RTR all come in those groovy cases? I assume RTR means it comes with a nice radio and all. The radios look full size pistol grip style...is this so?
Is the Subaru Impreza WRC version 2. I forget the category name but I heard there are two varieties of Epochs and that the second version is faster than the first.
Anything else I need to purchase in order to enjoy these babies?
Fast stock speed?
Thanks!
Old 12-20-2006, 09:31 PM

There are two types the older Spec-1 and the newer Spec-2.

The only thing you need with an Epoch ready set are one 9V battery for the radio, and six AA’s for the charger.

If you have a digital peak charger with low enough settings to charge 3.6 volt 120 mAh packs without frying them, then the appropriate size plug (see battery threads) for a charging adapter is a well spent $2.

Additionally the Epoch charger has a 9 volt DC power supply input so that you don’t have to use batteries, here’s a link to the shop: http://shop.tinyrc.com/home.php?cat=263
Charging with the AC adapter you get slightly longer runtimes than with the AA batteries, and of course a good peak charger gives even longer runtimes but is not as convenient. I usually peak charge my cars before hand then use the Epoch charger to juice them up as needed.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:37 PM

thanks for the replies to some of my q's
Is the Subaru WRX a Spec-2?
Do the RTR come in that case with foam insert?
Is this site a safe and reliable place to purchase these cars?
Can I phone in my order with credit card?
Arethe crystals the same ones used for XMods?
Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:51 PM

I can answer a few of your questions:
Yes the Subaru WRX is a spec 2
No they don't come with the foam insert case
Yes the site is safe and reliable
Not sure
Yes you can use the Xmod crystals, at least i don't see why not.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:25 PM

Can vouch for the shop, safe, secure, respectable, and helpful, have placed many orders with them and never had a problem. BTW you may know them as MiniZRacer.com, YourMicro.com, HalfEight.com, or TinyRC.com all these sights including this one are owned and sponsored by the TinyRC.com online store.

Crysstals
Crystals are no different than resistors, capacitors, or other simple electronic components, if they have the same value and are the same size then they are completely interchangeable, in other words a 27.095MHz crystal oscillates at 27.095MHz no matter who sells it or makes it. As a matter of fact since the people who make RC cars don’t make crystals and have to buy them from electronic component manufacturers who also sell to their competitors if you peal back the tags from different RC company crystal sets you will often find that the crystals have actually been made by the same manufacture, especially since there are only a limited number of companies who make the size/type of crystal used in RC cars.

The only difference in crystals is between the Transmitter and Receiver crystals and they are not interchangeable. In a crystal set the RX crystal is always 455MHz lower then the transmitter crystal so for example when you peal back the tags the TX will still say 27.095MHz but you will find that the RX is actually 26.640MHz.

So go ahead mix and match the crystals for example you can use an Xmod TX crystal with an Epoch receiver crystal of the same frequency i.e. our 27.095MHz example, that’s an Epoch #6 and an Xmod #3, with no problems whatsoever. It’s no different than putting an Eveready battery in your transmitter and a Duracell in you can, as long as the values are correct both the car and radio will work.

However since you're coming from Xmods only the crystals are interchangeable. The toy Xmod controllers can not be used with hobby grade electronics. Additionally there are a few low end hobby grade transmitters that are not compatible with the Epoch receiver for example the KoPropo Mini-Z Prefex radios and the Futaba 2PL will not work but the high end KoPropo EX-10 with a 27MHz module will as well as most other 27MHz AM radios, and you can use the Epoch controller for just about any 27MHz AM hobby grade car/receiver on the market.