Epoch Indoor Racer - epoch1-43.com

Go Back   epoch1-43.com Forums > General Discussion > Parts and Hop-Ups

Old 10-31-2006, 08:27 AM

Default LIT parts, will they work?

Finally got a hold of a Mini-Z LIT diff, and PN LT002 which had the motor box and front knuckles.

I was expecting the diff gear diameter to be larger, if not quite that much. The diff is quite a bit larger than the Epoch’s which I was expecting, although I was hopping the difference wouldn’t be quite so pronounced.

That’s the bad, the good is that right out of the package the diff is noticeably smoother and although big the gear is still 2mm smaller than an Epoch wheel and I’m thinking the lower gearing when combined with the dual high speed Shotgun motors will be sweet, the result should be more torque while still being outrageously fast.

And there’s always the old mix and match parts option, am not ready to trash the LIT diff by trimming the outer ring to size yet but as you can see with a little drilling and sanding the Epoch spur gear can be made to fit as another option.

It’s also obvious from the LIT motor box that an Epoch body is never going to fit on a LIT.

On the other hand even though the knuckle kingpin diameter is larger than the Epoch’s it’s looking like a Hybrid with a LIT Body on a Shotgun modified Epoch chassis with LIT knuckles could be one sweet ride and still half the price.

Last edited by LBRC; 10-31-2006 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:26 PM

Wow, good news is great news in epoch terms
I look forward to seeing what you make of this.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:03 PM

So you see lit knuckles and kingpins being easy enough to mod into an epoch chassis? Enlarge the stock kingpin holes and just drop in?

I need to go look at the exploded diagram again, but the lit knuckles will allow for bearings right? And they can be disassembled for hair removal w/o mods? How are the kingpins retained on the lit? Little e-clips or friction like the epoch?

Can't wait to see what you come up with LBRC, you're doing the community a great service by testing on parts not easy to get and costly if not workable.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:25 PM

One easy way is to take an old Mini-Z king pin file the edges around the E-clip notch for the top then cut it to length and enlarge the Epoch bottom hole. Or even better put the piece in a lathe to reduce the bottom piece diameter to so it will fit too without modifying the Epoch, since most people don’t have lathes the same thing can be done using a Dremil/rotary tool, or drill, with a small file and sandpaper to carefully file down a bottom of the new king pin to fit.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2006, 04:57 AM

Wow, great solution! So the lit kingpin is the same diameter as the lit kingpin?!
Old 11-10-2006, 07:29 AM

Assume you mean the same diameter as a Mini-Z king pin, the answer is yes.

Just a small update on Mini-Z LIT parts and Epoch hybrids.

First the stock LIT diff will not easily swap into an Epoch or an Epoch Shotgun mount without minor machining of the axle however, due to bearing size and ~1.5mm of width, however it can be done and a ball diff that fits the LIT will still defiantly have Epoch potential.

The good news is that the prototype Shotgun LIT motor pod is amazing, please forgive me for not posting photo’s but …, anyway it is not only perfect for an Epoch sporting a LIT body, wheels, and tires, as well as 1/32 conversions. BTW a stock LIT is not exactly low profile 1/32 body friendly it’s just too tall, however when you swap out the chassis with a battery modified Epoch chassis and lower profile Shotgun LIT motor pod, well you’ll see it’s the best of three worlds

So just incase your confused I put the LIT body, front, knuckles, hubs, wheels, and tires on one of my modified Epochs, with a Shotgun LIT motor pod using the LIT diff. Then I put the LIT CB, a spare set of LIT knuckles, axles and hubs, with another Shotgun LIT motor pod (actually I used the same prototype pod but it will have it’s own when done) w/diff on a second Epoch chassis with battery mod, and am now mating that with a 1/32 slot car body. Help clear thing up I thought not you should see my work bench

The big question is which will actually turn faster 2xW-L RCP lap times, stock Epoch, stock LIT, Super Epoch, Super Epoch LIT, 1/32 Epoch, or the1/32 LIT Epoch Hybrid? And of course what defines a faster lap time? Fastest single lap, fastest 50, or something in between? My fastest recorded Super Epoch lap was a blazing 5.11 seconds the problem is stringing 2 yet alone 50 of them together is nearly imposable. It took a great deal of practice, mostly in the form of throttle restraint, to even keep a SE on the track for 50 laps and then more to finally just barley beat my stock Epoch 50 lap times. A truly skilled driver with very flexible trigger finger might be able to perform miracles but that’s not me, and I flatter myself in thinking it’s also not average Joe.

So what would be a fair test? Fastest lap, fastest 50, or some compromise?

Last edited by LBRC; 11-10-2006 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:14 AM

Go LBRC!

From what I can understand, in this part of the post :

Quote:
So just incase your confused I put the LIT body, front, knuckles, hubs, wheels, and tires on one of my modified Epochs, with a Shotgun LIT motor pod using the LIT diff. Then I put the LIT CB, a spare set of LIT knuckles, axles and hubs, with another Shotgun LIT motor pod (actually I used the same prototype pod but it will have it’s own when done) w/diff on a second Epoch chassis with battery mod, and am now mating that with a 1/32 slot car body. Help clear thing up
It's unfair not to post pictures !

Sounds like some great work your doing, keep it up man!
Old 11-10-2006, 03:38 PM

Sorry I'm facing a small propriatory decision making type delima that and everything is in pieces and a bit of a mess. Funny but the better looking my cars and parts are getting the less inclined I am to take photo's in the prototype stages. Now what's that saying? "Pride goeth before loosing the race" or somthing like that.

Never fear photo's will come, and soon since I want to finish these projects before the Micro-T gets here

Last edited by LBRC; 11-10-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:11 PM

Sounds great, I trust you wont be leaving epoch for the micro-t though... right ?

Anyway, I'm about to shoot you an email in the next few days so keep a lookout
Old 11-12-2006, 08:26 PM

Fastest 50 by far would be the best indication. Racing is about consistancy, not about 1 hot lap.

So it sounds like you're using almost the whole lit and almost no epoch? I'm most interested in a 1/32 version (for use with revel easy kits) using epoch electronics, a lit shogtun, lit front knuckles/wheels and epoch everything else. I guess I just want to keep cost down on the conversion since I will be getting a micro-t as soon as its released