Epoch Indoor Racer - epoch1-43.com

Go Back   epoch1-43.com Forums > General Discussion > Setups

Old 08-08-2005, 03:27 AM

Default One way ratcheting diff?!!

My new car had one issue that irked me. The diff was perfectly smooth when I spun the right passenger side wheel, but when I tried to spin the diff by the left side wheel, it would make a clicking ratchet-ey like sound one way, then lock the other.

I functioned this way so consistantly I thought maybe it was intentional, I almost asked about it, but then I realized with the car on the ground the diff would be rough one way, and not work at all the other.

What I figured out the problem to be was the metal retainer on the axle had a metal burr, and was not perfectly cetered in the wheel, so it was catching.

What I did was take my extao blade and clear out that burr and some plastic around there, Now it's mostly smooth, with a itty bitty amount of that clicky feel

Does anybody know if that remaining clicky feel is because the left side always spins the motor a little?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Administrator

CD, the diff isn't well balanced, but I don't recall experiencing notchyness like you describe. If it keeps this up, let me know and we'll replace it!
Old 09-18-2005, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to arch2b

are there any mods to improve the performance of the stock diff? i know grease packing (not stuffing it up) the stock mini-z diff is well worth the effort
Old 09-19-2005, 02:18 AM

Sort of, I’m still looking for something better than the E-clip since it’s hard to get it just right, basically unless you install the ball bearing I’d stick with Arfin and just reuse the axle bead. You also have to be careful and not bend the axle.

Drilling the bearing hole out for the ball bearing version is also what I would call an advanced mod, there is literally no room for error, one mistake and your differential is trash. Also everything must line up perfectly for an improvement if not well it’s usually still better than a hair-bound differential.

On a good Epoch differential when you turn the right side wheel everything should feel absolutely smooth and the left (differential side) wheel should spin in the opposite direction. When you spin the differential side wheel you will feel a slight roughness and the right side wheel may have some slight hesitation but should still spin in the opposite direction. If the ball bearing mod is perfect then a good deal of the right side friction is eliminated.

I screwed up big time on the E-clip slot on one BB differential so I used a small section of brass tubing as a crimping bead and prefer it to the E-clip, however a bead crimping tool (a type of plier that press evenly on three or for equal sides of the bead) is a must.

Last edited by LBRC; 09-19-2005 at 02:41 AM.