Epoch Indoor Racer - epoch1-43.com

Go Back   epoch1-43.com Forums > General Discussion > Motors

Old 08-05-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Fast or Faster? Playing with fire.

My mother told me not to play with fire, fortunately I wasn’t a very good listener.

Ball bearings, balanced armatures, neo’s, turbo’s, hot stock, outlaw modifies, optional larger pinion gear? What would you like to see first? How fast do you want to go?

Last edited by LBRC; 08-05-2005 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:51 AM

What ever is faster! No for real, i would like to see Torque+speed with optional pinions , and a motor that needs a turbo!
Old 08-05-2005, 06:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to sg219

I think the word "ALL" can sum it up for me.

Ease of install would be up there on my list.

Pre-wired, tuned, and whatever else.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to arch2b

stock mini-z speeds would be the minimum i would look for with x-speed speeds being the limits of controllable speeds i think.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:36 PM

Would it be difficult for you to include the plugs you have going on with yours? So switching motors would be easier. Those plugs are nice and small.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:41 PM

Can you give some specifics about the motor LBRC, enough for me to google and find some? I need an extra motor for the spare gearbox I have, so they don't have to be huge performers (yet). I'm going to take a stab at building a custom chassis to screw the gearbox down to. Not quite sure what I want to do in the front yet, but it should be fun brainstorming it Might take a stab at hand fabbing my own kingpin/knuckle design. I also have the extra PCB/Servo/Encoder but no extra servo gearbox. I also have a burned out DRR servo that I might be able to use and shrink if I remove the board etc.

So anyway, it sounds like HO slot motor is what I want to look for? Just want to make sure I get the right thing
Old 08-06-2005, 02:41 AM

Ouch I see the shop doesn’t have any of the Epoch motors, the problem is that without rewinding and adjusting the timing a slot motor will be way too slow and/or current hungry. I could build one but it would be a bit spendy besides I only ordered enough parts for research not a lot of spares. I’ll see what I can find and PM you.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to USATorque55 Send a message via MSN to USATorque55

Well, I'm really not sure i want much.

Between the turbos out now, 4 cells... we have enough speed. Maybe something more efficient. Get more runtime..., more power withuot sacrificing runtime or anything.

With a turbo like the 4562 things or say ph2ts Bug turbo, would i have any restraints on running motors?

Guess I'm asking the wrong people...
Old 08-08-2005, 01:30 AM

Just finished a 4 cell with a turbo, and true it’s plenty fast.

For efficiency:
Ball bearings with a balanced armature, and with this type of motor a precision alignment job on the can (strap).

To take it further awhile back over at R7R and TinyRC I posted some ideas and experiments with shaved magnets, I’m still working on it. The idea is to find a better balance between the magnet strength and the number of turns.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:08 PM

Man, I googled HO slot car motors for a while and there is so little info on them. Most look like the epoch motor, but then list a small set of cars that the motor is compatible with. Also, seems difficult to find full motors, much less find bearing "cans" etc. Plenty of places sell custom arms etc. but those are no good to me w/o the rest of the motor!

LBRC, I've always wanted to try winding my own motors (just for the hell of it), would this be a good type of motor to play with it on? I was thinking of grabbing a few stock epoch motors from buck on ripper (only place I know of selling epoch stock motors right now) and then picking up this http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=278-1345
set of magnet wire to wind with? I will be building a turbo very soon so hopefully I shouldn't blow out my board. That being said, no reason to tempt fate, if I hook up the motor through my meter and test no load current draw, will I be able to discard windings too intense for the stock/turbo'd cars? Perhaps attach a load somehow for more realistic testing?

Also, does radioshack sell the connectors you chop to make your super micro connectors from? Haven't been able to find the socket side of your connectors online, but I want to use them not only on my epochs but on my lap timer so I can plug/unplug components like lasers/ir sensors more easily (and your plugs sound like the should be cheap enough to make in quantity). Gonna go browse the local RS to see what they might have worth chopping.

Last edited by cdog4w; 08-08-2005 at 09:11 PM.