Epoch Indoor Racer - epoch1-43.com

Go Back   epoch1-43.com Forums > General Discussion > Parts and Hop-Ups

Old 02-08-2006, 06:37 AM

Default Don’t look, just a working ball diff.

It’s not pretty since it’s just thrown together out of parts I had on hand.
The point is it works.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:31 PM

/me wipes a tear from his eye.

So does it improve cornering like I would expect it to? On my RCP I had trouble with a bit of a hook when cornering hard, my cars are new and the diffs should be in good shape, so I think its simply that I was cornering to fast for the diff... I'm hoping a balldiff will bring more consistancy to the high speed cornering. If so, epoch will be a handling monster!

Is this the design you're going to be able to mass produce or a prototype made from prototype materials etc?

And last but not least, price and when can we get 'em
Old 02-08-2006, 04:11 PM

SA-WEEET!
Now Maybe the epoch will turn BOTH ways equally well.
Nice work!!!
I am still working on my AWD epoch. It is still a CAD model for now
and I am trying to package everything. This one is going to
take a while.
Great work on the dual motor thing too. I really like the ball diff.
Will It be adjustable?
Old 02-08-2006, 07:24 PM

Still needs work but the initial results are promising. It is and will be adjustable, eventually in two ways if my idea works with any luck it will be able to be fine tuned with the body on, but I need to order a fairly expensive tap and die combo to try. Additionally the lathe I’m using right now has a minor malfunction and unless I can figure out how to fix it I will also need a new one to make a truly nice version. One nice thing is that it will fit in and work with a stock motor mount too, nice since the axle is much stiffer and straighter than the stock Epoch axle.

Basically it is just a shrunk down version of the thrust bearing style ball differential similar to a Mini-Z ball diff with two small but important differences, however you will have to forgive me for not showing them off until I see how well they actually do work and decide how far I’m going to take the project.

Aside from the lathe what would keep me from being able to make at least enough for hard core Indoor racing fans is the spur gear. This one was made form a ZZ axle gear, with some difficulty since I had to mill the inside to the right thickness and bore the bearing holes just right. For a production model I would have to have the gear manufactured to the final specks, which tends to make the individual price very expensive unless you order several thousand.

Last edited by LBRC; 02-09-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:22 PM

Looking and sounding great!! New to this forum love this little car. The one thing I REALLY REALLY WANT IS... A BALL DIFF so congrats on managing to make an early version... would definately buy one, please keep us posted...

BTW how expensive is VERY??
Old 06-26-2006, 02:10 PM

AWD Epoch? Sweet! Count me in for one!
Old 06-26-2006, 05:33 PM

Hey LBRC, when can I purchase your shot gun kit? I need a red set for my carbon fiber chassis kit I'm working on.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq
Hey LBRC, when can I purchase your shot gun kit? I need a red set for my carbon fiber chassis kit I'm working on.
Soon; the one in the photo below is just out of the sealant tank, it has no center ridge so that it can be used with a carbon fiber mounting/suspension plate with additional screw holes for a larger variety of mounting options, tomorrow after it dries I will install the motors and check it out making sure that everything works and lines in an actual car. If everything checks out ok I will send and email or pm including photo's of the finished mount, at that time if you still want it it's yours (price and payment instructions will be in the email) if not no problem just tell me quickly since I have more people wanting mounts than I have gears for.

Taigerr
Got to play with a Mini-Z Lit at RCX and other than being black instead of white the Lit differential appeared to be nearly identical to the Epoch's so I put the ball diff project on hold since there is a very good chance that shortly after the Lit is released either Kyosho and/or one of the Mini-Z aftermarket parts manufactures will have just what we need.
Attached Images